Pagliarese is a company located in Castelnuovo Berardenga, in the province of Siena. The cellar is famous for the production of Classico Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia, Fontalloro, for its Cabernet and the traditional Vin Santo.

Pagliarese’s History and Terroir

Once the territory of this Tuscan corner where the Pagliarese company is based and where the Chianti Classico hills leave room for the Crete Senesi, was called by Leopoldo di Lorena “The butterfly of the Grand Duchy”. Land prized and highly suited to Sangiovese, as well as home to many of the best wines in Italy. We are in Castelnuovo Berardenga in the province of Siena, which is the southernmost one among the historic towns of Chianti Classico. Pagliarese is located just between the Fattoria di Felsina, from which it was purchased just over 20 years ago, and Castell’in Villa, in the aristocratic heart of the Chianti Classico area. A historic estate that has been synonymous with great and appreciated Chianti until the years ’90, when the company ceased its activity. But since 1995 the Poggiali family, owners of nearby Felsina, he bought the land and started a project of replanting the vineyards, from cloned selections of the oldest vineyards. The grapes of Pagliarese, before the 2015 harvest, were used by the Poggiali family for the assembly of the wines of the mother company, but from this date on, Giovanni Poggiali decided to revalue, with its original name, the historic brand.

The Philosophy of the wines of Pagliarese

Currently the company includes about 65 hectares, divided into 25 hectares of vineyards – with 80% of the spurred cordon systems, while the remaining 20% ​​in Guyot – and 10 hectares destined to the cultivation of olive trees, according to the Chianti tradition and just under half still predominantly wooded. The vineyards are distributed on two different sides of the Colle del Montecucco, one part looking towards Castell’in Villa and the other towards Castelnuovo Berardenga, at an altitude of 320-390m asl and enjoy a particular geological diversity, which is at the base of the great resources of Castelnuovo Berardenga. In fact there are more tenacious soils of sedimentary origin rich in alberese and galestro, lime and sandstone and more loose soils composed of sand and silt, which thanks to the climate and exposure to the southwest, go to increase the culture of the absolute protagonist of this sandstone, Sangiovese, combined with two other classic Chianti grapes: the canaiolo and the mammolo.

The wines of Pagliarese

In the cellars, inserted in the complex of the ancient farmhouse of Sant’Emilia, the tradition maintains the same structure and theological innovation is only a support to what has been handed down for centuries. The result is a production of Chianti Classico wines, fresher and fruity and more colorful, intense and full-bodied wines, intended for the Reserve, which we find in the proposed line consisting of the two reds: Pagliarese Chianti Classico docg and Pagliarese Chianti Classico Riserva docg . Wines with a marked balance, elegance and refined personality. In addition, the company also produces an excellent Extra Virgin Olive Oil,


Pagliarese Chianti Classico Riserva 2016

Campoleone 2015 Umbria IGT of Tenuta Lamborghini

Appellation: Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG
Grapes: Grapes: Sangiovese 90%, Canaiolo Nero 5%, Mammolo 5%
Alcohol: 13.5 °
Tasting Notes: SEE SHEET


Informazioni & Contatti Pagliarese

Address: Località Pagliarese, San Gusmè, Siena
Tel: +39 0577 355117
Web Site:
Wine Tastings & Direct Sales